What is the Champions League Final?
The Champions League Final is the last game of the UEFA Champions League tournament.
When is the Champions League Final on?
The next Champions League Final will take place in 2022. At the time of writing, the 2022 Final is set to be played on May 28th 2022 at the Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
The 2021 UEFA Champions League Final was played in Porto, Portugal on May 29th. It was initially supposed to be held in Istanbul, Turkey but changes were made in order to allow more fans to attend. At the time of the Final, Portugal was on the UK’s green list for travel following the COVID-19 pandemic.
How to watch the Champions League Final
Last year’s Final was shown on BT Sport in the UK. Check back closer to the end of the Champions League 21/22 season for more information about how to watch the final.
Champions League Final history and facts
The league used to be known as the European Champion Clubs’ Cup but was renamed in the 1992/93 season to the UEFA Champions League. Teams play a round robin group stage to qualify for a double-legged knockout format and the winner is decided by a single leg final.
Champions League Final 2021 recap
The 2021 UEFA Champions League Final saw Manchester City take on Chelsea. Along with 14,110 fans, the two English teams travelled to the Estádio do Dragão in Porto, Portugal on May 29th 2021. It was Manchester City’s first time playing in the UCL final, and Chelsea’ third appearance following their win in 2012.
Just before the end of the first half, Kai Havertz scored for Chelsea. Unfortunately, Man City were unable to return the favour, so Chelsea took their second title as the whistle blew. They’ll now play the winners of the 2020–21 UEFA Europa League, Villarreal, in the 2021 UEFA Super Cup, and at the 2021 FIFA Club World Cup in Japan.
Chelsea’s N’Golo Kanté was named Man of the Match.
- Man City’s appearance in the 2021 UCL Final comes 51 years after their last major European final. In 1970, they beat Polish team Gornik Zabrze 2-1 in the Winners’ Cup final. They broke the record for the longest gap between finals for a team.
- Real Madrid have made the most appearances in the UEFA Champions League Final, having played 7 times.
- The Spanish side also hold the record for the most goals scored, knocking out an impressive 18 goals.
- However, the record for the most goals scored in one final belongs to Liverpool. In the 2005 Final against AC Milan, which ended in a 3-3 draw at half time, Liverpool went on to win 3-2 on penalties. That’s an impressive 6 goals in one game.
- Top goal scorer in a final: 4 Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Real Madrid) https://www.statista.com/statistics/865211/uefa-champions-league-final-game-most-goals-by-player/
- The Champions League trophy is nicknamed Ol’ Big Ears because it has two large handles. It is 73.5cm tall and weighs around 7.5kg.
- AC Milan have the biggest win at 4-0 against Barcelona (1993/94 Final).